2018-2019 American Legion Auxiliary Department Chaplain
What is this program?
American Legion Auxiliary chaplains express, by word and action, our founding principle of service to God and Country and encourage all departments to celebrate diversity among people and faiths. Auxiliary chaplains provide spiritual and emotional guidance when needed or requested, always sending dignity and respect to the occasion.
Programs and Activities
It should be the objective of the chaplain to:
- Pray for the American Legion Auxiliary, its members and leaders, for success in carrying out our mission.
- Guide members through prayer experiences that are appropriate for the situation.
- Act as spiritual ambassador of the organization.
Through bulletins and other means of communication, the chaplain should:
- Provide and promote emotional and spiritual support to The American Legion Family by sending emails, prayers, etc., to members throughout the administrative year.
- Reconnect with the heart of God, the master of might, and promote our founding fathers’ desire to create one nation under God.
- The chaplain is responsible for all invocations, benedictions, and memorial services for deceased members at official meetings.
- Recommend educational materials that promote a spirit of unity and love.
- Schedule spiritual, fun events throughout the year that provide fellowship time and spiritual growth.
All prayers and devotional thoughts must be non-denominational. (Source: Guidelines for National Chaplain)
Non-denominational means “not restricted to or associated with a religious denomination.” (Source: www.answers.com/topic/nondenominational)
An annual report is not required; however, a year-end summary and a mid-year progress report are suggested as tools to gauge the direction and effectiveness of department activities. Both narratives should be forwarded to the Department Chaplain by December 5, 2018 for mid-year and April 15, 2019 for year-end.
Additional Resources You Can Use
- American Legion Auxiliary Unit Guide Book
- Guidelines for National Chaplain of the American Legion Auxiliary
- National Constitution, Bylaws, and Standing Rules of the American Legion Auxiliary
- Chaplains' Prayer Book of the American Legion Auxiliary
- Auxiliary Chaplains on Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/alachaplains