Notes from the Department Secretary
I believe that our American Legion Auxiliary National Convention was a success. We had 14 delegates and alternates in attendance from the Department of Alaska. There was lots of information shared and lots of opportunities to network with other departments. Meetings began on Saturday and continued through Thursday. Because I got to stay until Thursday, I had the privilege of listening to Vice-President Michael Pence address the American Legion family.
The Convention had a spot in the hallway for a photo opportunity. It was to show that “I” am the one in the 100th anniversary. We all have a role to play in the 100th anniversary, not just for The American Legion, but also for the upcoming American Legion Auxiliary. I took advantage of this photo opportunity to remind myself of my responsibility.
Having just returned from the National Convention, I am more than a little stoked for the new year. Here are some of the events for the next year.
- Fall Workshop – Saturday, October 20th with a DEC on Sunday, October 21st and a Girl State meeting also on Sunday, October 21st. It will be held at Susitna Valley Post 35 in Wasilla. There will be a joint opening ceremony with the entire Legion Family before we break into our separate meetings.
- Silver Tea – November 3, 2018 at Jack Henry Post 1 in Anchorage.
- Poppy Orders Due – November 10, 2018
- Domiciliary Gift Shop – December 1, 2018. Please let Ann Robinson or Jane Larson know if you would like to make a donation or if you are available to help on that day.
- Department Convention – April 25-27, 2019 at Jack Henry Post 1 in Anchorage
- American Legion Auxiliary Alaska Girls State – June 2019