THE AMERICAN LEGION FAMILY
In the Spirit of Service Not Self for Our Veterans, God and Country
The 2018 American Legion National Convention will be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota during August 24-30, 2018
Alaska's Legion Family will be staying at the Hilton Minneapolis Hotel, located at 1001 South Marquette Avenue in Minneapolis.
Click on the links below for detailed information and registration forms:
- National Convention Registration & Information (to be mailed to The American Legion, Dept of AK NLT June 29, 2018)
- American Legion Auxiliary National Call to Convention
- General Information about the National Convention
- ALA Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meeting - Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 10:00 am
- ALA Tentative Agenda for National Convention
- ALA Breakout Workshops (strongly recommended to attend by all ALA delegates/alternates) Register online: http://www.cvent.com/d/1gqzv9
- Blood Drive - Saturday, August 25 8 am-2pm
- Campgrounds & RV Parks near Minneapolis
- Convention Center Map
- FODPAL Breakfast (Optional) - Monday, August 27 at 7-8:30 am Hilton Minneapolis, The Gallery
- Hotel Listings by Department
- Hotel Shuttle
- Medical Services
- Minneapolis Hotels, Restaurants & Map
- Minnesota Warriors Ice Hockey Game - Monday, August 27 at 7:05 pm
- National Chaplains Breakfast (Optional) - Sunday, August 26 at 7am- Open to all, Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis Ballroom, Salons F & G, Third Floor. The American Legion and American Legion Auxiliary Youth Champions will address the audience. $40 due by August 6th deadline. Make checks payable to: The American Legion, Attn: Chaplain’s Breakfast, P. O. Box 1055, Indianapolis, IN 46206
- Night At the Ballpark - Minneapolis Twins vs. Oakland A's - August 25
- Parade Map
- Patriotic Memorial Service (Optional) - Sunday, August 26, 11a-12p - featuring the Minnesota Boychoir - Minneapolis Convention Center, Auditorium, Level One.
- Pre-Season Football Game - Minnesota Vikings vs. Seattle Seahawks - August 24
- Post Parade Party
- Scooter Rentals
- Shuttle Schedules
- SPOT Parking
- States Dinner (Optional) - Contact Barb Nath for tickets
- Super Shuttle (local ground transportation)
- Tours Information
- The American Legion National Convention 2018 Mobile App. Download the app at:http://www.legion.org/mobileapps or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tal-national-convention-2018/id907062961?ls=1&mt=8
AUGUST 2nd UPDATE - As we get closer to Convention, I wanted to provide some information for you.
The attire for attendees of all business meetings for the 2018 National Convention is business casual. Please: no jeans, shorts, or tank tops.
- The Tentative Auxiliary Agenda (current as of 08/02/18) is downloadable by clicking above.
- Sign up for your Breakout Workshop Sessions. Use the website provided to register.Registration is due by Saturday, August 18. Information is also above. Sooner is better than later so you get the workshop you want.
- The Pre-Convention Committee Meetings are on Saturday August 25th. Each of you has been assigned to at least one committee to attend. (Contact Barb Nath for the schedule.) Please bring a completed report form to the DEC meeting on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. The information we need from each committee is any resolutions made by the committee, any recommendations made by the committee and any awards for Alaska from the committee. For the committee(s) to which you are assigned, there will be 52 chairs which are reserved for the official representative. Cards bearing department names will be affixed to the chairs in alphabetical order. Other individuals present have a voice, but no vote.
- It is expected that all members of our department will attend the Pre-Convention Committee Meeting on Constitution and Bylaws. It is scheduled for 1:00 to 2:30 in Ballroom B. This will provide you with information that will come up on the floor of the convention for action. Any delegate may ask clarifying questions but only to clarify the intent or purpose of a proposal.
- A Western Division Caucus meeting will be held on Saturday, August 25th from 3:00 to 4:30 at the Convention Center. This is a mandatory meeting for all members of our delegation Please wear your red shirt and khaki/white pants, skirts.
- There will be a DEC meeting on Sunday, August 26th at 10:00 a.m. Please bring your pre-convention committee report forms to this meeting and submit them. It will be held in the Hospitality Room.
- The Parade is on Sunday, August 26th at 4:00 p.m. – more information to follow. Attire for the parade is our red department shirt and either khaki or white pants/skirts.
- Don’t forget to bring items for the silent auction to be held in the Hospitality Room.
- There is a Super Shuttle which provides transportation from the airport to the hotel. That information can be found above, or at: https://group.supershuttle.com/group-page/the-american-legion100th-national-convention/ In the pickup location box, enter MSP. In the drop off location box enter 1001 S. Marquette (if you are at the Minneapolis Hilton) or the address of the hotel where you are staying. There is a small charge for this service. ($28 for a round trip). There is also a free shuttle service between different hotels and the convention center.
- I will be arriving on Thursday, August 23rd and will pick up all credentials, etc. I should be in my room by 6:00 p.m. Feel free to come by anytime Thursday evening or no later than Friday to get your credentials and other documents. If I am not in the room, I will post a notice letting you know where I am. Also, you can call me at (907) 227-8169. - Barb Nath
JULY 18th UPDATE - Do you realize it is just over a month before National Convention begins in Minneapolis. Department Secreatary Barb Nath is so excited and is rapidly working on getting everyone's meal tickets purchased and registrations done.
A couple of things:
- Does anyone have any special dietary needs that Barb needs to share with the events folks for either meal? Please let her know this week as she anticipates completing the first phase of registration over the weekend and that is part of that phase.
- You all received an email about the American Legion Department of Alaska new 100th anniversary shirts. They are great and you can purchase one by contacting either Kelly at headquarters or Kevin Collier. The American Legion and the Sons of the American Legion will be wearing these during the parade.
- The American Legion Auxiliary will be wearing their red Department of Alaska polo shirts in the parade. So, if you purchase the blue shirt, please know that you will still wear your red shirt for the parade.
- Please know that there will be pre-convention committee meetings for you to attend (these will be on Saturday morning). Once Barb gets the list and times, she will determine who will attend each one and send that out to you so you know which ones you need to be at. There is a form that I need to have you complete and she will provide that in Minneapolis.
- There will also be a Western Division Caucus meeting which we are required to attend. That will be on Saturday afternoon
- Barb will be arriving Thursday afternoon and will get all our materials and have them available in her room for pickup. Once you arrive, please find her. She will be in the room all day Friday to get your items to you. DON'T FORGET TO SEND BARB YOUR ITINERARY OR AT LEAST YOUR ARRIVAL DATE AND TIME. THANKS.
- Don't forget to bring items to donate for the brown bag auction (like the Juniors did at Department Convention).
- Most of all, bring your smiles and your marvelous selves and we will have a great time.
I'm sure there will be more information as we get moving. Watch your emails.
JULY 1st UPDATE - Just wanted to share some information that you will need to know for the National Convention in August. Let me know if you have any questions.
- Attire for the Parade will be white or khaki pants/skirts with our Red ALA Department shirt. If you don't have one please let Barb Nath know so you can purchase one.
- Barb will be contacting each of you so I can assure that I have the money and correct event tickets that you requested.
- The American Legion has a new 100th anniversary shirt that they are selling. If you wish to purchase one, please contact Kelly at the Legion Headquarters at (907) 278-2898. The Legion will be wearing these shirts as they walk in the Parade; however we will wear our red shirts.
- We have our ALA Department of Alaska pins for sale. If you want to purchase some to give away at National Convention, please let Barb know.
- Anyone that would like to help with the 2018 National Convention Community Outreach Project on Friday, August 24, 2018 from 7am to 1 pm, please contact Lisa Williamson firstname.lastname@example.org or (907) 388-3264 for details.
- We will be having a DEC meeting while in Minneapolis. It will be on Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. Please be at this meeting!
- Each of you will be assigned to attend pre-convention meetings for different committees. They are scheduled for Saturday, August 25th from 10:00 to 11:30 AND from 1:00 to 2:30 at the Convention Center.
- There will be a Western Division Caucus meeting on Saturday August 25th from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Everyone from Alaska is expected to attend this meeting
- Please see Barb Nath in my room at the hotel when you arrive on Thursday or Friday. Most of you are arriving on Thursday or Friday. She will be arriving on Thursday at 1:30 so should be at the hotel by 5:00 p.m. She will have your credentials (name badges and convention packet) as well as your committee assignments and any other information you need to have. Please call her at (907) 227-8169 to assure that she is in the room.
JUNE 1st UPDATE - We received the Call to National Convention (above) so that you may begin your planning. If you have any questions please get in touch with Department Secretary Barb Nath.
Two things that Barb need to know as soon as possible: 1.) If you are not going to be able to attend the convention it is best to let Barb know as soon as possible and 2.) If you would like tickets to the Woman of the Year Luncheon ($35.00) or the States Dinner ($45.00) let Barb know by June 25th! If we get groups of ten we can buy whole tables and not have to be spread throughout the room for both events.
To help you in your planning, Alaska’s Unit Member of the Year will be attending the Convention and it is always nice when our delegation is all in attendance at the luncheon to show our support. But please don’t feel pressured to attend, it is entirely up to you and no one will think any more or less of you for attending or not.
Check back often for further information and updates!
Future dates and locations for The American Legion "Family" National Convention