THE AMERICAN LEGION FAMILY
Department of Alaska Convention
In the Spirit of Service Not Self for Our Veterans, God and Country
The 100th American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Alaska Convention
will be held at Spenard Post 28 in Anchorage, Alaska
during April 21-23, 2022
In conformity with the action of The American Legion, Department of Alaska, and by the direction of the Department President Jane Larson, the 100th Annual Convention of the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Alaska, is hereby called to be held at Spenard Post 28, 7001 Brayton Drive, Anchorage, Alaska during April 21-23, 2022. Opening Ceremonies will be held at the Post while the American Legion Auxiliary convention business sessions will be at the Main Event (1041 East 76th Avenue, Anchorage). There will be a Meet and Greet on Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at Spenard Post 28.
The convention is called for the purpose of electing officers for the ensuing year, amending the Department Constitution and Bylaws of the Department of Alaska and for the transaction of such business as may come before the convention.
Representation at the Convention shall be by delegates elected by Units in accordance with provisions of Article V, Sections 2 and 5 of the Department Constitution.
“Section 2. Representation in the Department Convention shall be by Units. Each Unit shall be entitled to one delegate at large and one additional delegate for each ten (10) members or major fraction thereof whose current dues have been received by the Department Secretary thirty (30 days prior to the meeting of the Convention for which they are elected, and to one alternate for each delegate. The delegates and alternates shall be elected at a Unit meeting not less than two weeks before the Department Convention. Alternates shall have priority in the order of their election.”
“Section 5. Each delegate shall be entitled to one vote. The vote of any delegate absent and not represented by an alternate shall be cast by the majority of the delegates present from her Unit, each Unit voting her full strength.”
Click on the links below for detailed information and registration forms:
- American Legion Auxiliary Call to Department Convention & Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meetings - Click to download
Department Convention Registration & Information - Two documents to be downloaded separately
- To Include Auxiliary documents (click to download) - Special Memorandum with fees; Auxiliary Delegate and Alternate Form; Certification of Delegates; Request for Information of Unit Officers Form; and Merrilyn Stock/Evelyn Oliver Memorial Scholarship Application,
- as well as Post 28 documents (click to download): Registration form; Advertising for the convention booklet; RV Space Reservation; & Lodging/accomodations list
- ALA Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meeting - pre-convention - Pursuant to Article IV, Section 4 of the Amended Bylaws of the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Alaska, a meeting of the Department Executive Committee, as now constituted, is hereby called and will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 20, 2022. The meeting location will be announced. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss old and new business for the outgoing administration.
- ALA Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meeting - post-convention - Pursuant to Article IV, Section 4 of the Amended Bylaws of the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Alaska, a meeting of the Department Executive Committee, as elected, is hereby called and will be held at the close of convention on Saturday, April 23, 2022 after the close of Convention Business. The meeting will be held at the same location as the American Legion Auxiliary meeting in Anchorage, AK. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss old and new business for the incoming administration.
- ALA Alaska Girls State Board Meeting - There will be an Alaska Girls State Board Meeting is hereby called and will be held at the close of convention on Saturday, April 23, 2022 after the close of Convention Business. The meeting will be held at the same location as the American Legion Auxiliary meeting in Anchorage, AK. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss old and new business.
- Merrilyn Stock-Evelyn Oliver Memorial Scholarship Application - This application should be submitted to the local Unit President of the American Legion Auxiliary on or before April 15, 2022.
- Voting Strength for Convention Voting – The voting strength for the convention will be determined based on the membership in each unit one month before Convention. That means you will need to have all your memberships to Diana on or before March 14, 2022.
- Unit Everlasting – we will be having a Post Everlasting Ceremony at Convention. This will cover the dates April 1, 2021 to March 30, 2022. Please be sure you have sent updates in on all members who have passed away during that time so we can be sure to include them in the Ceremony. This update should be received by April 1, 2022.
- Poppy Project - Department President Jane Larson's Poppy Project is to create a 100th birthday hat. The hat should contain at a minimum one poppy (and more than one is better). At the Department Convention, each Unit will review the hats brought by their Unit members and select one to represent their Unit for the President’s Poppy Project. We will also have a parade of all hats and the winning hat will be selected from the ones chosen to represent each Unit.
- History Books, Prayer Books, Poppy Books, Poppy Poster – Please be preparing your books and posters to bring to the Department Convention. They will be presented for a vote with awards presented.
Past President’s Parley Luncheon - Do not forget to bring your submissions for Unit Member of the Year and Service Woman of the Year. Details will be available soon. Keep checking back!
Luncheon is TBD
Reminder: each Unit typically brings exchange items to give to each member in attendance; this is always a fun exchange.
Convention Due Dates
- Special Memorandum with all fees – Due March 28, 2022
- Auxiliary Delegate and Alternate Form – Due March 28, 2022
- Certification of Delegates (Credentials) Form – Bring original to Convention (can send in a copy before Convention)
- Request for Information of Unit Officers – Bring to convention and give to Department Secretary
Documents to The American Legion Post 28 are as follows:
- Registration Form – Please note: The registration fee for Legion, Auxiliary and SAL members 18 and older will be $160.00, if received by Post 28 by March 15, 2022. Registrations that are mailed must be postmarked on March 15, 2022 or earlier and will be accepted at these rates. The fee for late registrations, postmarked after March 15, 2022is $185.00. The fee for SAL members 17 and younger and Junior Auxiliary members will be $85.00 if received by Post 28 by March 15, 2022, and $95.00 thereafter.
- Program Ad Information - Due April 1, 2022.
Candidates for Office – Those who are running for an officer position must have an endorsement from their Unit. That requires you to have a vote at your general meeting to approve endorsing that person and the position for which they are running. After your Unit meeting, an endorsement letter on Unit letterhead and signed by the President and the Secretary should be sent to the Department Secretary. She will then inform you that it is okay for you to release it to the other units in our Department. Do not send to other Units until you get that okay.
Check back often for further information and updates!