THE AMERICAN LEGION FAMILY
Department of Alaska Convention
In the Spirit of Service Not Self for Our Veterans, God and Country
The 98th American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Alaska Convention
will be held at Susitna Valley Post 35 in Wasilla, Alaska
during April 23-25, 2020
In conformity with the action of The American Legion, Department of Alaska, and by the direction of the Department President Jane Larson, the 98th Annual Convention of the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Alaska, is hereby called to be held at Susitna Valley Post 35, 4180 W. Tweed Court, Wasilla, Alaska 99623 during April 23-25, 2020.
The convention is called for the purpose of electing officers for the ensuing year, amending the Department Constitution and Bylaws of the Department of Alaska and for the transaction of such business as may come before the convention.
Representation at the Convention shall be by delegates elected by Units in accordance with provisions of Article V, Sections 2 and 5 of the Department Constitution.
“Section 2. Representation in the Department Convention shall be by Units. Each Unit shall be entitled to one delegate at large and one additional delegate for each ten (10) members or major fraction thereof whose current dues have been received by the Department Secretary thirty (30 days prior to the meeting of the Convention for which they are elected, and to one alternate for each delegate. The delegates and alternates shall be elected at a Unit meeting not less than two weeks before the Department Convention. Alternates shall have priority in the order of their election.”
“Section 5. Each delegate shall be entitled to one vote. The vote of any delegate absent and not represented by an alternate shall be cast by the majority of the delegates present from her Unit, each Unit voting her full strength.”
Click on the links below for detailed information and registration forms:
- American Legion Auxiliary Call to Department Convention & Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meetings - Click to download
- Department Convention Registration & Information - To Include Auxiliary documents (click to download) - Special Memorandum with fees; Auxiliary Delegate and Alternate Form; Certification of Delegates; & Request for Information of Unit Officers Form as well as Post 35 documents (click to download): Registration form; Advertising for the convention booklet; RV Space Reservation; & Lodging/accomodations list
- ALA Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meeting - pre-convention - Pursuant to Article IV, Section 4 of the Amended Bylaws of the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Alaska, a meeting of the Department Executive Committee, as now constituted, is hereby called and will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22, 2020. The meeting will be held at Susitna Valley Post 35 in Wasilla, Alaska. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss old and new business for the outgoing administration.
Proposed Changes to Governing Documents - Please review prior to Department Convention. Should you have any questions or would like rationale, please email Department Secretary Barb Nath at firstname.lastname@example.org or Department Constitution & Bylaws Chairman Sue Diaz at email@example.com
- Ratification of revisions to our Department Governing Documents as a result of changes made at National
- Proposed revisions to the Girls State Documents include:
- ALA Call to Department of Alaska Executive Committee Meeting - post-convention - Pursuant to Article IV, Section 4 of the Amended Bylaws of the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Alaska, a meeting of the Department Executive Committee, as elected, is hereby called and will be held at the close of convention on Saturday, April 25, 2020 after the close of Convention Business. The meeting location will be announced but it is anticipated that it will be held at the same location as the American Legion Auxiliary meeting in Wasilla, AK. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss old and new business for the incoming administration.
- Merrilyn Stock Memorial Scholarship Application - This application should be submitted to the local Unit President of the American Legion Auxiliary on or before March 31, 2020
Department President Jane Larson's Poppy Project is as follows:
- Patriotic and Military/Veteran Support themed
- Minimum of 24 poppies
- Minimum of 18" in diameter
- Wreath must be able to hang on a wreath holder
- Poppy Wreath:
Past President’s Parley Luncheon - Do not forget to bring your submissions for Unit Member of the Year and Service Woman of the Year. Details can be found at: https://www.alaskalegionauxiliary.org/Past%20Presidents%20Parley.htm and https://www.alaforveterans.org/Members/Past-Presidents-Parley/
The luncheon will be held at the same venue as the convention meetings so no travel will be involved. The cost for the catered luncheon is still to be determined, but estimates look like it will be $15.00 per person. Please let our Secretary Barb Nath know how many from your Unit are planning to attend so that we can give the caterer a ballpark figure on how much food to supply. You will pay for the luncheon at the Convention.
Reminder: each Unit typically brings exchange items to give to each member in attendance; this is always a fun exchange.
During the luncheon with proceeds to go to the Department of Alaska Future Development Fund, we will hold a bag auction. Please bring a bag with 100 of something, anything you like. The bag can be anything from a brown lunch bag, new or used purse or any kind of non-see through bag. The bags will be auctioned off during the luncheon. This should once again be a fun event.
Convention Due Dates
Candidates for Office – If your Unit has a member who is interested in running for office, there are steps that need to be followed. Please submit the following: Endorsement Form and Letters of Endorsement. The Letter of Endorsement should present the Candidate’s qualifications and will be sent to each Unit. Permission must be given by the Department Secretary BEFORE you can circulate the documents to each unit.