2017-2018 American Legion Auxiliary Membership
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM AND WHY DO WE HAVE IT?
The role of the Membership Committee is to encourage and support the nationwide effort to attract and retain a diverse, active membership. Members enable us to carry out our mission to assist veterans, military, and their families.
What can you do?
1. Enhance member experience:
- Recognize all members for any and all contributions — volunteering, serving as a chairman or officer, preparing food, and organizing events.
- Share member tools.
- Rid units/departments of member discrimination.
- Ensure a positive experience for all members.
- Be welcoming, kind and respectful to members of all ages and backgrounds.
- Create meaningful participation.
- Establish a membership committee or team to support efforts throughout the department.
2. Reach out to former members
- Develop a script to identify reasons for not renewing and what would cause the former member to consider rejoining.
3. Attract new members
- Ensure a positive new-member experience.
- Increase the ALA’s visibility in the community.
- Engage other community-based organizations in ALA projects such as welcome home/deployment events, support of military families..
- Volunteer at schools, giving flag demonstrations and serving as mentors, with a special emphasis on military children and the issues they face with deployments and transfers.
- Encourage Junior members to recruit their eligible friends and relatives.
- Identify recruitment target groups such as women veterans, military families, and relatives of American Legion members, ALA Girls State alumnae and local colleges.
- Exhibit Service Not Self in all activities and interaction with others.
- Create a significant membership experience for Junior members. Encourage Junior members to attend the senior meeting to share their vision of the unit.
Mid-Year Reports - Department due date is December 5, 2017. Mid-year reports reflect the program work of units in the department. Each Unit is required to submit a narrative report by December 15, 2017, to the Department Membership Chairman.
Year-End reports - Department due date is April 15, 2018. Annual reports reflect the program work of units in the department. Each Unit is required to submit a narrative report by April 15, 2018 to the Department Membership Chairman.
Member Award: R5 Recruit & Rejoin 5 - Guidelines: Members who recruit or rejoin five (5) or more Junior or Senior Auxiliary members. Rejoined members must not have paid dues since 2015. One entry per recruiter. Certification forms must be received in National Headquarters no later than May 1, 2018.
Member Award: Silver Brigade - Guidelines: An Auxiliary member who recruits 25 or more new 2018 Senior Auxiliary Members will qualify for enrollment in the Silver Brigade of the American Legion Auxiliary. TAL and SAL members are also eligible to receive this award. Certification forms must be received by National Headquarters no later than May 1, 2018.
Member Award: National Commander's Pin - Guidelines: American Legion National Commander Denise H. Rohan will award her national commander 'Family First!' incentive pin to any American Legion Family member who obtains any combination of three eligible new members into the American Legion Family (The American Legion, Sons of The American Legion or American Legion Auxiliary). A new member is any eligible person joining for the 2018 membership year who was not a member of the American Legion Family during the 2017 membership year. To maintain the integrity of the national commander's pin incentive program, only one pin will be awarded per individual. Upon receipt, national membership staff will confirm the names and mail the pin directly to the person who earned it. Commander Rohan's incentive program will end June 30, 2018, or when supplies are exhausted.
Renewal Notice Schedule
The first renewal notice will be mailed by September 15 for the following membership year. A second notice is mailed by January 15 for the current membership year. Units are welcome to supplement the national renewal notices with unit generated renewal notices. The ALA membership year is from January 1 to December 31.
Seating at National Convention
Seating at National Convention will be based on best overall membership performance. Overall membership performance will be based on a comparison of total 2017 membership as of 30 days prior to 2017 National Convention and total 2018 membership as of 30 days prior to 2018 National Convention.
At the Department Convention,